Nov 12

Why is a Rim called a Rim?

Someone new to our industry recently asked me why a Rim Panic Device was called a “Rim”.   Not as self explanatory as a vertical rod to be sure.  I explained that I wasn’t sure myself but I would find out.  I turned to Bill Jahns, our hardware guru at Design and asked him “why is a rim called a rim”?  He had this to say:

“I think it got it’s name from rim locks because they are surface mounted and the latch is in the same position on the rim of the door.” Here are some images of rim locks.  He added that both rim locks and rim exit device are commonly operated by rim Cylinders.






No one else I asked seemed to be able to add anything to this mystery.  Please comment below if you can confirm this theory or have another.

1 ping

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>